pathway to membership
Welcome to the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Miami or as we call it UU Miami! We are thrilled that you are exploring membership as part of our community.
Under normal circumstances, we would gather together to learn about this faith, this congregation, and each other. In order to stay safe, we are going to give you most of the content online, for you to explore on your own time. The learning plan is below.
We will gather twice online for this program.
On your own, you will learn:
- UU identity, history, theology, and structure.
- How to get involved in the church and the programs we offer.
In session one, we will:
- Reflect on your UU theology and journey
- The history of UU Miami
- Ask and answer questions you have.
In session two, we will:
- Sign the membership book and be welcomed into the church. This ceremony will be recorded and included in the online worship to introduce you to the congregation.
We begin with “What is Unitarian Universalism?”
Please watch/read, if possible in order: (total watch time: 48 minutes)
- We are Unitarian Universalists. This is a three-minute quick introduction, you may have already watched on our website,
- A History of Unitarianism. (This is 7 minutes; by Rev. Sean Neil-Barron)
- A History of Universalism. (Five minutes by Rev. Sean Neil-Barron).
- What is a Unitarian Universalist – Testimonies (2 minutes):
- Sermon on Liberation and Love by Rev. Yadenee Hailu (11 minutes). Listen for her description of “how” we live our faith and reflect on the “how” of your commitments to love and liberation.
- UU theology video by Rev. Matthew Johnson. (12 minutes)
- After you’ve watched Matthew’s Theology video, watch this video of “Holy Now” by Peter Mayer. (4 minutes)
- And then also watch this video of “We Are. . .” by Yseye Barnwell. (Four minutes)
- At the online zoom session, we’ll ask you to share how the lyrics of the songs “Holy Now” and/or “We Are . . .”, (both by Unitarian Universalist composers) reflect the theology you’ve learned about – and how they speak to you.
Then we turn to what it means to be part of a local congregation – and an international movement. (total watch time: 11 minutes)
- What does it mean to be a member? (5 minutes)
- What is the UUA? (3 minutes)
- Then, also watch this short film (3 minutes) about international Unitarian Universalism.
Then we talk about how to get involved.
Before the second session, be sure to fill out and bring with you (or send in, in advance):
If you request you will be provided our bylaws and the Youth and Children Safety Policy, and other documents related to the congregation that you would like to look over.
Even if you decline to join at this time, you can fill out the visitor sheet and make a pledge to support the church. Thank you!
Blessings, Reverend Tom Capo
For questions or more details, contact the UU Miami office at (305) 667-3697 or email us at email@example.com